GIPCA was launched in December 2008 with a generous fixed-period grant from the Donald Gordon Foundation. The Institute will now continue its work as a result of a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The new Institute will be launched on 5 April 2016.
The Institute for Creative Arts (ICA) Launch programme will include:
- Guest speakers including: Sakhela Buhlungu (UCT), Saleem Badat (Mellon Foundation), Zethu Matebeni (UCT) and Suren Pillay (UWC)
- Announcement of the new programme of events for the next three years
- GIPCA Book Launch: Relocations: Reading Culture in South Africa, a compilation of lectures from the Great Texts/Big Questions Public Lecture Series edited by Cóilín Parsons, Imraan Coovadia and Alexandra Dodd
- Introduction of the MA and PhD Scholars and Fellows and their respective areas of research in the Creative and Performing Arts
- Performances and Art Installations by: Khanyisile Mbongwa, Dean Hutton, Gabrielle Goliath, Owen Manamela-Mogane, Themba Mbuli and iQhiya
- DJ Paul Waxon
DATE: 5 April 2016 | 17:30 for 18:00
VENUE: Hiddingh Hall, UCT Hiddingh Campus, 31-37 Orange Street,
[Image: Khanyisile Mbongwa. Umnikelo Oshisiwe, 2014. Photo credit: Noncedo Gxekwa]
Listen to the ICA Launch 5 April 2016 podcast here.
The ICA facilitates new collaborative research projects, particularly in the Creative and Performing Arts. Interdisciplinarity, Live Art and Public Spheres are key themes of the Institute, and projects are imbued with innovation, collaboration and a dialogue with urbanism and community.
Start: 5 Apr ’16 5:30 pm
End: 5 Apr ’16 10:00 pm
Venue: Hiddingh Hall
Phone: +27 21 650 7156
Address: Google Map UCT Hiddingh Campus, 31 Orange Street, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa