Live Art Workshop: Applications Open
Institute for Creative Arts & Pro Helvetia
Live Art Workshops
Institute for Creative Arts (ICA) Live Art Workshop: Applications Open
The Institute for Creative Arts (ICA) in collaboration with Pro Helvetia will host a comprehensive interdisciplinary Live Art Workshop, under the direction of Jay Pather, in March and April 2019, creating an informed and enhanced space for the development of new work.
Please note that this Workshop is not only aimed at artists. It is intended for practitioners in a range of fields – including sociology, political science, anthropology, psychology, urbanism, literature, digital technology etc. – who are interested in experimental practice and performance. The ICA therefore invites artists and practitioners from a diverse array of fields to apply.
The Workshop will be facilitated by a selection of esteemed practitioners and educators from South Africa, Mozambique, India, Switzerland and Egypt, and will cover the following disciplines: fine art, movement, voice, sound design, light art, composition, choreography, and theory.
The intended outcome is a presentation of a concept for a new live art work developed during the course of the Workshop. These will be witnessed by a range of guests from South Africa, Egypt, India, China and Switzerland. In addition, work will be considered for public performance on an ICA platform.
The ICA invites practitioners with an interest in live art to apply for a space by submitting a Curriculum Vitae as well as a short biography outlining your practice.
Prior to submission, please take careful note of the following:
- The Workshop allows for a maximum of 20 participants.
- The Workshop will run as follows:
- Workshops with National Mentors: Fri 29 March to Sun 31 March
- Workshops with International Mentors: Fri 5 April to Sun 7 April
- Rehearsals according to participants’ own schedules: Mon 8 to Fri 12 April
- Site rehearsals: Sat 13 April
- Showing: Sun 14 April
- Successful candidates are required to attend ALL Workshops, as well as the final showing. However, rehearsal times are negotiable according to each participant’s schedule.
- The Workshop will be fully catered with coffee, tea and lunch provided on site, on all workshop days.
- The Workshop will be presented at UCT Hiddingh Campus, Orange Street, Cape Town.
- Participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
To apply: send a CV and a short biography outlining your experience and your current interests in performance and live art.
Send to email@example.com by 18 February 2019 with subject line Live Art Workshop.
Successful candidates will be informed soon after.
The ICA is an interdisciplinary institute in the University of Cape Town’s Humanities Faculty. The Institute facilitates new collaborative research projects, particularly in the Creative and Performing Arts. Interdisciplinarity, Live Art and Public Spheres are key themes of the Institute, and projects are imbued with innovation, collaboration and a dialogue with urbanism and community.